The farrier put shoes back on Rags—and so began a very confusing saga. On the Saturday after his appointment he was 80% better. On Tuesday (after two days off and when TrainerA was out and looking at him, of course) he was back down to like 40%. But on Wednesday he was at 95%. I was so pumped, I thought we were in the clear because he looked so good!
Then on Thursday he was back down to 80%, and on Saturday he was at 85%, and then… well he just looked terrible again—and so on and so on until I finally lost my patience and tossed him in his stall to save myself a little heartache. The last time I took him out to look at him was on Saturday, at which point watching him on the lunge just made me feel shitty, so I gave up entirely.
I’ve literally gotten on him exactly once since he got his shoes put back on. 🙁
At this point I’m not sure what’s up. Remnants of sensitivity from his time spent shoeless? Adjusting to shoes/changes in feet? A stone bruise? Something far, far worse? (Ugh, please don’t say the words “soft tissue” to me, I can’t take it.) Color me baffled, I have no clue. What I do know is that I only spent $1,000 on him, which means I guess I just have to chuck all of that money I saved into this mystery.
I’ve got an appointment with the vet for next Friday. She was coming out anyways to give the boys part two of their strangles vaccination, so if Raglan isn’t at 100% by then I’ll have her do a lameness evaluation on him, too. At the least we should be able to narrow it down to foot vs. other parts.
It’s hard not to sit and stew in thoughts about the worst case scenario. Just gotta wait to see what the vet has to say. In the mean time I’ll be over here, doing my best to squash my inherent sense of pessimism.